this is it

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Wove...True Wove

I have never experienced love, in the romantic sense. I have never been close to marrying anyone and don't really date (not because of a lack of desire but a lack of opportunity). At the moment I seem to be surrounded by it but never part of it. This isn't bad or hurtful, occasionally it does make me nauseous or frustrated. I don't mind the constant chatter about this boy or that one. Anyone who has gone to BYU or BYU-I DO have experienced this kind of thing and the almost seemingly conspired talk about marriage at stake conference (like I said to my roommate what can you expect when the conference is about family and you are in a single student stake. It's to be expected). So that is what was talked about in stake conference. There was not one talk that seemed to give relief or talk of something else. Yesterday's meeting, today's meeting, all the same with no end in sight. Our stake pres. got up and gave a wonderful talk that reminded me of "got milk" commercials. He said marriage is good for you and then listed multiple good reasons why we should get married. I wanted to raise my hand and point out that I wasn't trying to avoid marriage but that it was avoiding me. I also thought about raising my hand and saying since there were so many benefits, if anyone wanted to get married I would be holding interveiws directly after the meeting. Then I realized that they had once again left out something important to me. I don't want to marry just any old joe. I want to marry someone I love. They talked of family and how much happiness it brings. The life experience and benefits there are to being married. The children and the grandchildren. They forgot, in all their encouragement, the fact that life being married to the wrong person can be torture and can be the most devastating experience ever. So I am holding out despite their persistance and their hope that I will get married right now. I'm holding out. Maybe I read too much into their talks, maybe they didn't mean get married right now, maybe they were just talking to those ready to be married. I don't know.
P.S. There were a couple quotes that I loved throughout the entire thing. This one is my favorite. I had never heard it before. It goes,"People are like Slinkys. They're useless but it sure puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs."

1 Comments:

  • No...he meant get married right now..to anyone. It's hard not to get cynical when you're bombarded by it all the time. When your Bishop asks you what kind of progress you're making just tell him you've got a guy on a mission. you're off the hook for the rest of the semester.

    By Blogger Klobas, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home