this is it

Thursday, March 2, 2006

The Nasal Juices of My Heart

It's never a good sign when your friends turn to you and say "Oooh, your voice hurts me." They are trying to be sympathetic or show concern or something. When you are sick, as nice as it is that someone acknowledges that you are dying, it doesn't make you feel better to know that your voice is an instrument of pain to others. Of course, it takes about 3 or 4 days of being sick for others to realize that you are and then you have to demonstrate or prove your illness before others will become sympathetic or empathetic or anything really. Not that I want a fanfare or a national holiday because I am sick, just the knowledge that someone notices that I am not totally myself and some show of concern. I think that I am being overly critical. I mean nobody shows signs of illness until they seem to be getting better and I have been guilty of the same nonchalance about others infirmity. Although at the moment I think that I am going to be very grateful for the inability to smell today. I might miss the stench of death. Yes today I believe is the day in lab where we have the opportunity to see cadavars. I know that I am just so excited...really really excited. Of course I think we will be standing for most of the time and you know that when you are sick and you stand up all of a sudden you are momentarily granted breath. Usually this shows you that there is a chance that you will be getting better... soon... hopefully.
P.S. I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience. I have to say that it was a first for me. I woke up the other day and my tongue hurt. This wasn't just my everyday, I bit/burned my tongue hurt. This was it hurts to talk and to swallow type hurt. Now, I find that very odd. It is a strange experience and would not care to repeat it. I think I would have had more fun with it if I had had a better attitude but as it was I didn't and so maybe next time I will try to have a positive mental attitude about wishing I had been born without a tongue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home